Sunday, October 19, 2014

Digital Badge # H

For this digital badge #H, we had to read chapter 9. Three topics that I would like to discuss are power point strategies, YouTube and online streaming video websites, and video editing software in the class room.

PowerPoint and Prezis are very popular in teaching. As I have stated before, my parents (who are teachers) use PowerPoint and Prezi on a weekly basis. These are great tools for teaching, as well as great for students and projects. Some presentations that I have been able to teach using PowerPoint are about me (the students) and something we called Personal Electronic Data Notebooks. We had the students create PowerPoints that examined their grades, FCAT scores, and behavior for the year. It was a great way to keep the kids in check with themselves as well as put their own influence in the design. Prezi's are great to do this kind of thing as well.

YouTube is a great thing to use for education. At first, my thought was that anything on Youtube has to be examined carefully before showing to students and especially younger students. But I have noticed that YouTube has something called YouTube Education. This allows for safe YouTube streaming. Also, Khan Acadamy and Discovery Education are great educational video streaming that I have used before.





Finally, I would like to discuss video editing. Having being certified in Adobe Premier Pro, and a small side business of making videos for education, graduations, weddings, reunions, and ect; I have used a few video editing software.  All of my computer's in my house are macbooks. So I am very familiar with iMovie. I use iMovie quite a bit. As well as have used Microsoft Movie Maker in the past. Like I just said, I am certified in Premier Pro, so I now use an editing software that's a little more expensive, but I can say, for movie making in the class room, that iMovie and Microsoft Movie Maker is just as impacting as Premier Pro for what students can use it for.

References:
Discovery Education streaming. (2008, December 4). Retrieved October 19, 2014, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=illMlepgrDM


Maloy, R., O’Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd Edition. Boston, MA: Pearson Education Inc.

1 comment:

  1. Your knowledge and skills in multimedia technologies will be extremely helpful as you develop your classroom plans. Students crave lessons with such multi-modal aspects. :) I agree that there are easier video-editing tools that are effective in the classroom. Students tend to enjoy the taking of video but not necessarily the editing process, but the complex options (which are great for the professionals!) in Premier Pro are way beyond the needs.

    Discovery streaming is a great resource, but I believe that YouTube has become the 'go to' resource for video. Fortunately, there are a variety of resources that filter the educationally inappropriate ones and/or remove the side-bar ads (which can often be just as inappropriate). Teacher Tube and YouTube Education can also be good options.

    ReplyDelete